Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Scooter Soldering Kit Battery

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Michael Kennedy" wrote in
:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 2/15/2009 12:36 PM ian field spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

For chrissakes, everyone *knows* not to use acid-core solder for
wiring connections. The fact that we're even talking about it
here is totally ridiculous.

But don't take my word for it:
http://www.scienceprog.com/reliable-...ng-with-fluxes

They say "You should never use acid fluxes in electronic device
soldering and repair, as it will cause corrosion and even can
short-circuit device where gaps between tracks are small."

Sheesh.

I never said acid - that's you jumping to conclusions and getting
it wrong.

You said, and I quote:

I keep a tub of active plumbers flux ready to hand.

That stuff is acid flux. Wrong flux for wiring.

--

He means for ****ty 20 year old automotive or marine wire thats got
so much corrosion on it you can't brush it up. I've seen wire like

Idea;
use one those anti-fluxes first to block acid flux from getting up
where it
can't be cleaned off,before soldering. Like the Tix anti-flux.

I still would try Tarn-X first to clean the corrosion off the wire.

I think Tarn-X is a good idea. I've never thought to use it.
I hate working on wire in this condition, but sometimes you have to.
So next time I'll try the tarn-x and see if it works.

back when TEK tube scopes were common,I used to use Tarn-X in a spray
bottle to clean the silver switch contacts,then wash the entire scope,then
3 days in the drying oven.It saved having to replace some complex switch
assemblies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik