Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.scooter,alt.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.tech
Paul aka Sporty Paul aka Sporty is offline

Default Scooter Soldering Kit Battery

"ian field" wrote in message

"Paul aka Sporty" wrote in message
.. .

"ian field" wrote in message

"Paul aka Sporty" wrote in message

"Who Me?" wrote in message

"R. LaCasse" wrote

|Why bother? Buy a butane powered soldering iron and be done with
it.

I think I suggested that about a week ago!

Sounds good, if you plan on burning all the plastic around the
soldering area I'm considering with wind included...pretty messy
sometimes..

Not if you use your brain just a TINY bit.

You fire it up, let it heat to the proper useable temperature and the
SHUT THE FLAME OFF before you get near the plastic parts. Should be
good
for one or two joints before the wind cools it off too much.
OR
The little catalytic flame only blows in one direction; once you
figure
that out, you should be able to point it AWAY from the meltable
parts........and once it is up to temp. and you turn the "flame" down
a maintenance level, there isn't that much heat coming out anyway.
OR
You could continue to whine over nothing.

The Portasol is very controllable, I never melted anything other than
solder with it.
All you need is some soldering skills and some common sense when using
it.

A good flux is often handy too.

The strands in vehicle wiring are rarely tin plated and usually
oxidised,
the flux in cored solder just makes a mess so I keep a tub of active
plumbers flux ready to hand.

Someone else mentioned the risk of vibration to soldered joints - heat
shrink sleeve reduces this risk significantly.

Rosin Flux Soldering Paste is what you need.

It doesn't work - it just burns on as an impenetrable lacquer so you have
to scrape all the strands with a knife blade before you can carry on and
do the job properly with an active flux. If the solder takes on any of the
strands you can't easily scrape them so you then have to cut the ruined
strands off and start all over again!

Always remember to slide a piece of shrink wrap up the wire BEFORE starting.
That's the 1st step in a clean solder joint, All metal must be clean and
bright, Then flux and heat to temp, Tinning sometimes
makes the job quicker, After feeding solder and getting a smooth flow allow
to cool before moving to avoid a cold solder joint.