Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marky P[_2_] Marky P[_2_] is offline

Default drenched chipboard shelves in under sink cupboard

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 22:34:10 -0000, "OG"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

Noticed a strange thing today. There are two shelves in my under sink
cupboard and they are drenched right through the chipboard but the
laminated surfaces are bone dry. I can't seem to find any leaking
pipes, but also I can't work out how to take the units apart. I live
in a housing association property so I'll contact them in the morning.
Just seems odd how the woods wet inside but the outside is dry.

Is there a cut edge against a damp surface that is acting as a wick, drawing
moisture into the chipboard?

That could be possible. I think there's a possibility that the wall
is getting damp (maybe condensation) and the damp is getting drawn
into the chipboard through an unsealed edge. It appears to be slowly
drying out now, so maybe connected with the recent bad weather.
Anyway, a bloke will be round in the morning :-)

Marky P.