Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default drenched chipboard shelves in under sink cupboard

Marky P wrote:
Hi,

Noticed a strange thing today. There are two shelves in my under sink
cupboard and they are drenched right through the chipboard but the
laminated surfaces are bone dry. I can't seem to find any leaking
pipes, but also I can't work out how to take the units apart. I live
in a housing association property so I'll contact them in the morning.
Just seems odd how the woods wet inside but the outside is dry.

Marky P.

Another cause not yet mentioned is tiled worktops. Tiny grout cracks
can let in enough water to soak the chip.

Hopefully a good look round can tell you where its worst, thus where
its coming from. Drilling small holes in the chip underside (not right
through!) can help the core dry quicker, which hopefully would reduce
the damage as well. The latter should be avoided by the OP of course,
due to renting.

NT