Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marky P[_2_] Marky P[_2_] is offline

Default drenched chipboard shelves in under sink cupboard

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 22:05:45 -0000, "John"
wrote:

The unit will be wrecked - weakened beyond recovery. Has a container leaked?
does the u-bend leak when you empty the sink?
"Marky P" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

Noticed a strange thing today. There are two shelves in my under sink
cupboard and they are drenched right through the chipboard but the
laminated surfaces are bone dry. I can't seem to find any leaking
pipes, but also I can't work out how to take the units apart. I live
in a housing association property so I'll contact them in the morning.
Just seems odd how the woods wet inside but the outside is dry.

Marky P.

There doesn't appear to be any water leaks on any visible pipes.
I'ved checked the sides of the unit and one side is bowing out
slightly and the wood feels damp under the laminate. All other
cupboards (even ones right next to it) are bone dry. Kitchen units
are quite old (imo) and the housing association are gradually going
round updating homes, so maybe this little problem will push me up the
list.

Marky P.