Posted to alt.technology.obsolete,sci.electronics.repair,alt.scooter,alt.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.tech

Default Scooter Soldering Kit Battery

In article ,
Bob wrote:

I wanna know if I can hot wire my scooter battery to a regular 12v/60w
soldering iron to do local soldering repairs without going to the other
fuel/chemical bonding methods for safety ????

I know most soldering kits, you buy or build, usually require a
standard wall socket 120v/60w soldering iron and some 4AA batteries....

Eh? Loads of 12 volt soldering irons on the market. Here's one:-

http://store.voltelectronics.com.au/...e ring%20Iron

If the scooter is 12 volts the simple way would be to fit a car accessory
socket which the iron plug will fit. But make sure it has a suitable fuse
close to where you wire it into the scooter wiring or battery.

So I was wondering what would happen if I used a 12volt SLA 8 amp
battery, since the wall outlet is a about 90watts and the 12volt SLA
battery is also some 96 watts although it drops quickly to an easy 11
volts because of a burned cell I'm guessing....

The math is there but some other factor is missing, I can't see the
power of a 12volt SLA battery to a mere 4 AAs ...........has anybody
ever tried this with a regular soldering iron for outdoor use???

Bit difficult to to actually guess what you mean but I'll have a go.

Is the scooter 12 volts? Does it use a SLA battery? Or a sealed car type
one? Because the type of charger needed for true SLA is different from
'sealed' types, and using a charger for the latter will likely fry a true
SLA.

BTW - batteries aren't measure in watts but amp hours. They might also
give a maximum load in amps.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.