Swingman

Default "Dulling" a shellac finish

I've had luck toning down the sides of a shellacked cabinet by rubbing out
the piece, by hand, with 0000 steel wool and thinned downed paste wax as a
lubricant. Thin the paste wax with Mineral Spirits enough to make a slurry,
rub out with the steel wool, then buff by hand after the wax hazes over.

While it's worked for me, you might want to try it on a spot that is not
visible before you go hog wild.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Tim Schubach" wrote in message

The second option, which I don't like to talk about, is to take off the

new
finish, and put something else in instead. I'm assuming that has the
potential of leading to a lot of trouble since, I don't get 100% of the
shellac off, an incompatible finish will bubble, or react in an

undesireable
way.

So, I'm looking for options and suggestions.

TIA,
tms