Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] LEGEND65@yahoo.com is offline

Default Nostepinne

On Feb 1, 11:40 am, Casper wrote:
Assuming you have a chuck, you could turn a "mortise" in the end of one
half, and a tenon on the end of the other half - and glue them
together.
charlieb

I've given making two parts some thought, but not specifically
mortise. I have both a jacobs and mini nova chuck.

I've made a few at about 9" but for bulkier wools it gets awkward to
handle. I've seen some at 12", 14" and even 16" but I think if I could
get at least 11" they would work fine and still be one piece.

I've been using the nova chuck and thought if I could make a shorter
jig to give me another inch or two that would solve my problem.

I don't get it. This looks like between centers work, and your lathe
will do 14". Even allowing for extra stock at both ends you should be
able to do 12" no problem. If you need to clean up the ends in the
chuck you can just remove the tailstock to give you more room.

-Kevin