Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Casper Casper is offline

Default Nostepinne

Assuming you have a chuck, you could turn a "mortise" in the end of one
half, and a tenon on the end of the other half - and glue them
together.
charlieb

I've given making two parts some thought, but not specifically
mortise. I have both a jacobs and mini nova chuck.

I've made a few at about 9" but for bulkier wools it gets awkward to
handle. I've seen some at 12", 14" and even 16" but I think if I could
get at least 11" they would work fine and still be one piece.

I've been using the nova chuck and thought if I could make a shorter
jig to give me another inch or two that would solve my problem.

`Casper