Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Heat Resistant Finish for Wooden Trivet?

In article ,
says...
All the wooden trivets I've made had no finish at all. They were made
to scorch, to burn, and to use. Sanding very smooth with a beeswax
finish should give a low luster.

I've used olive oil with a bit of gum/vegetable turps added for better
penetration, applied 2-4 times. Not particularly shiny, doesn't prevent
scorchmarks from a red-hot pan, but it works and is wet-wipable after
food splashes. Our trivets are made from Blue Gum and they certainly do
look *used* :-) but neither scored nor scorched.

-P.