Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Heat Resistant Finish for Wooden Trivet?

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:31:36 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

I want to make a few trivets out of wood. The last wooden one I had that
was commercially made had a shiny surface. Any tips on what kind of finish
this would be?

TIA
Norm

All the wooden trivets I've made had no finish at all. They were made
to scorch, to burn, and to use. Sanding very smooth with a beeswax
finish should give a low luster. Lacquer, varnish, and urethane
finishes are very shiny, not sure what these would do if scorched,
though.