Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default RCBOs and Clipsal Box

TheScullster wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote
They will generally all be able to take the double width RCBOs. Only the
taller ones will take the single module ones.

That does suppose that you can still get any spares that fit. A good
number are interchangeable, although technically speaking mixing brands
would void the type approval.

Thanks John - can you clarify please
I can't afford to lose breakers, so double width ones are non-starter.
How do I know whether my box is a "taller one"

Measure the distance from the top of the din rail to any obstructions
above - say the neutral or earth bus bars. Then have a look at the specs
for the RCBO. As long as you have enough space for the device and a bit
to keep the wiring clear of other things then you are ok. (assuming your
CU does not have an unusual busbar like the old Wylex NN types.

Not sure what you mean about voiding type approval.
What difference does the manufacturer of each individual MCB or RCBO make?

In reality probably none. However a manufacturer will design and test
their CU with their matching MCBs / RCDs etc. If you substitute another
then there is no longer any proof that the whole thing will perform as
expected. Personally it would not worry me since there is not much
difference between modern CUs that is likely to make a difference and
all the components are tested to their own individual standards as well.

(My Contactum CUs have MK type S incommer RCDs (TT system), and a Hager
cartridge fuse carrier for the garage submain feed).

--
Cheers,

John.