Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Wayne-Dalton does the right thing: Was: Wayne-Dalton iDrive garagedoor opener

On 12/30/08 05:36 pm I wrote:

We have had a Wayne-Dalton "iDrive for torsion springs" opener for a
little over three years. We had problems with it initially, but W-D
sent a replacement controller board and light unit.

Other than the unit having forgotten its settings a couple of times
and having to be "re-trained," it's worked OK.

Right before Christmas it started giving trouble, first merely buzzing
without moving the door, later starting to move the door but then
making a "ratcheting" noise without moving the door any further.

Had somebody come and check out the door today. He said it was not
significantly out of balance (but he adjusted one spring by half a
turn anyway) but said the opener appeared to have stripped the gears.

This afternoon went to a "real garage door company" to look at new
garage doors (the old one is wooden and getting waterlogged). While I
was there I heard somebody mention the word "iDrive" in deprecatory
tone of voice. It turned out that this was somebody from the
Wayne-Dalton distributorship, and he told me that even they try to
steer people away from the iDrive.

The guy from the distributorship said that W-D has sometimes simply
shipped people new units, but I haven't quite figured out how to take
advantage of that. The warranty info. in the owner's guide says that
warranty claims must be made *in writing to the dealer*; the store where
I bought it no longer deals with W-D; one of the nearby places listed on
the W-D Web site as handling the iDrive is in the process of being taken
over and doesn't know which end is up; another said that since they
didn't install it I'd have to pay their labor charge to take it down and
examine it. W-D is closed this week.

I managed to get in touch again with the company that was in the midst
of a merger/takeover when I called before, told my story, and within 10
minutes got a call back to say that W-D was shipping them a complete new
iDrive for me.

Perce