Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default boiler earthing?

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

My old (oil fired) boiler had a 4mm^2 (ish) earth wire that ran

from
the copper oil line back to the CU.

When the (non-oftec) plumber recently installed the new boiler, this
was not reconnected. I am having an oftec plumber coming to sign
everything off. Should I connect the earth before he comes and for

my
own safety?

The boiler is earthed but only through the 6A flex.

In my last house the (gas) boiler had all the pipes cross bonded
immediately beneath it. None of the pipes going to or from this

boiler
are. I don't think the CH pipes are earthed anywhere. Should they

be?

Thanks,
Stephen.

My OFTEC oil installer fitted my boiler but didn't bond the incoming
oil pipe, despite me querrying it. My NICEIC electrician certifying
the whole electrical installation insisted on 10mm bonding back to the
main earth point at the CU. Mind you I can (and actually have in a
The boiler per se is only earthed via the copper plumbing which is
bonded and its own electrical connection 2.5mm earth.

AWEM