Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Wayne-Dalton iDrive garage door opener

On 12/29/08 09:33 pm Robert Neville wrote:

It turned out that this was somebody from the Wayne-Dalton
distributorship, and he told me that even they try to steer people away
from the iDrive.

They've long since stopped advertising iDrive in the WD ads around here. Now
adays the ad shows a standard looking garage door and fine print that mentions a
standard screw type opener.

The iDrive is still at the top of the "opener" page on the W-D Web site.
The "traditional" openers are further down.

Too bad - I always liked the iDrive concept, but I guess they never got the
engineering right.

Chamberlain has a model (LiftMaster 3800, I think) that works similarly
-- driving the shaft rather than pulling/pushing the door -- but it
mounts alongside the door rather than above it and is more expensive
than the iDrive.

Perce