Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiring two gang two way light switch

In article ,
alex6192 wrote:
I am trying to replace two light switches for dimmers.

Both switches are two way.

One of the switches has three wires and the other has two.

Make those cables. And the inner 'wires' are normally called cores.

Each of the wires have three inner wires (excluding the bare earth) and
they are coloured black, grey and brown. One of the main wires (the 3
wire box) has 'switched feed' written on it. All the other wires are
unmarked.

Strange. You're describing a two way switch circuit by the three core
cable - but the 'switched feed' is normally two core. Here's the diagram

L1 L1
0===========0 0===========0============= Line
| \ / |
C 0================================O C
\ / \ /
0===========0 0===========0============= Switch return
L2 Optional L2
Intermediate

The dimmer switch I have bought (which i intend to fit onto the box
which has three wires coming from it) has two L1 terimnals, two L2
terminals and two which have a symbol that looks like a wavy line with
an arrow going through it.

I've never seen one like that - what make is it? Most have three terminals
for two way switching marked Com, L1, l2.

So, in summary I have the following.

Box 1 (excluding earth).

3 black wires
3 grey wire
3 brown wires

Box 2 (excluding earth):

2 black wire
2 grey wires
2 brown wires

Switch 1 (for box 1)

2 L1 terminals
2 L2 terminals
2 wavy line terminals

Switch 2 (for box 2)

2 L1 terminals
2 L2 terminals
2 COM terminals

Can anyone tell me how to wire these switches?

It looks to me that the existing switches are intermediates. These have
four terminals as opposed to three. As per the diagram above. If that's
the case the switch part of the dimmer will also have to be an
intermediate - and I've not come across one that is.

I'd also guess there were choc block connectors inside the boxes which
you've omitted to mention.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.