Posted to alt.home.repair
RonABC RonABC is offline

Default Underground oil tank removal costs

Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions. I'm on the East coast where
permits, testing, etc. are required for underground tank removal and no one
even dreams about taking tanks out on their own.

I was mostly wondering what the general maximum exposure might be if an
underground tank was removed and was found to have leaked, but was not near
any structures. Apparently, the cost "could" turn out to be very high if
the leak spread to any underground water supply.

"RonABC" wrote in message
I have a rough idea of what it costs to have an underground oil tank from a
residential property when it is not leaking and there are no complications.
I also hear horror stories of it sometimes costing many thousands of
dollars when the tank was found to have leaked (stories like 50K, 75K, or
even more). I know that it costs a lot more when a leaking tank is near a
house or structure that needs to be jacked up or supported so contaminated
dirt can be excavated from underneath and around the structure.

My real question is, if an underground oil tank on a residential property
needs to be removed, and it is found to have been leaking, -- and it is
NOT near any structures and is out in the open -- is the cost of removal
more or less self-limiting? In other words, is it mostly the cost of
removing the tank and removing and disposing of the contaminated dirt
around it, and then refilling the hole with clean soil? If so, would a
situation like that tend NOT to cost in the 10's of thousands of dollars,
and be more like under 10K to get the job done?