Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] is offline

Default Sony KP-43HT20 - I do not believe my convergence ICs are at fault.

wrote in message
I've found a bunch of posts on here, and via Google, regarding this TV
and convergence problems. Most suggest that replacing the two STK392-
xxx ICs (110, 150, 180, 560 - mine are 560) and some fuses as the
solution.

That makes sense - the explanation is that the ICs go bad and take out
the fuses, resulting in no convergence. Fine. I can stomach that. But
my convergence is FINE when I turn the TV on, and flakes out shortly
after it heats up. Am I wrong in thinking that BLOWN ICs (and fuses!)
would cause a problem that would be consistently present from the
moment of power-on?

I'm not 100% sure of what happens to boards when CRT coolant gets on
them - but I do know that, at some point in this set's history, there
has been a leak. It appears that some got onto the board near the
leftmost (looking at it from the front of the set) convergence IC.

What am I looking for?

Well, they often do get bad solder connections at the IC's themselves,
caused by heating / cooling over the course of time, or one IC could be
opening up internally as it warms up.

We have done lots of these, and some were intermittent. If you get the
replacement IC's from a reliable supplier, you should be fine.

Mark Z.