Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Trying to volume pot replacement for JVC Rx-6000 receiver

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:37:33 -0800 (PST), Andrew
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hello,
I have a JVC RX-6000 which works well except for the volume control,
which behaves pretty oddly. If I turn the volume down slowly,
everything works fine. If I turn the volume down quickly, the volume
often ends up higher than it was.

I have an amp with a rotary encoder that doesn't respond correctly if
I turn it too quickly. I suspect this reflects the processing speed of
the uP, and is not a deficiency in the encoder. If it's a mechanical
rather than optical encoder, maybe there are time delays to allow for
debouncing. If so, could the uP be confused if a new contact is made
before the previous one has been debounced?

- Franc Zabkar

Nah, it's the encoder. I've taken them apart. The contacts are tarnished.

Mark Z.

Agreed. It is very very common. I would guess that on average, I do one
every couple of weeks. Lots of different makes use them, but they are almost
always the same type with the green square body, 3 electrical legs, and two
mechanical stability pins, one at either side in the middle. ALPS make, I
think.

Arfa