Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

On 14 Dec, 23:08, "newshound" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror,

Why not? because it is a "spider" with thin webs, so there isn't enough area
presented?

Similar to that.
The foam pad occupies the middle say 80 percent of the mirror, but
the plastic it has to attach to is like a narrow frame around the edge
of the mirror. This "frame"
should clip over and around a central circular piece the is controlled
by the motor. The problem
is the clips are broken, so it needs to be glued. Also, the area the
mirror is to be stuck to is not
flat, but has various raised areas and nibs etc. These act to hold it
around 1mm from the rest of
the plastic. The foam would therefore have little contact area, which
leads me to think it should
be glued.

In my experience, glue repairs on car mirrors seldom work for long. You
might stand a better chance if you can take off the forward facing "fairing"
and apply epoxy from the back of the mirror to bond the glass to the holder
/ carrier. Or genuine Duck tape (which is stronger and more durable than the
cheap clones).

You may find perfectly adequate clone mirrors on eBay at about a third of
the main dealer price. This is what I did after repeated failed repairs on
an Astra.

Here, do you mean an entire door mirror unit, or just a mirror pre-
bonded to
the carrier ?

Thanks,
Simon.