Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.engr.television.advanced
Chris F.[_2_] Chris F.[_2_] is offline

Default Gotta do Best TV thing again

I'm still using my Sony KV-35S45, it was one of the best CRT sets ever
made, and IMO it outperforms the vast majority of LCD and perhaps even
plasma sets on the market. It's size and weight, and the lack of HD, is a
downer for sure, but it's well worth it to have a TV that looks and performs
like a TV really should. Even if I could afford an HD set, the only one I'd
even consider would be a Pioneer Elite plasma.
LCD's may have the advantage when it comes to resolution, size, and
efficiency, but you just can't beat the rich, accurate color of a good CRT.
Everybody else might be racing to the nearest Wal-mart to pick up a cheap
LCD, but I'm sticking with the old, tried-and-true favorite.
"Albert Manfredi" wrote in message
On Sep 19, 10:51 am, Elephant wrote:

I bought a television "monitor" from JC Penney back in 1977. The darn
thing is still plugging along today. Picture quality is still great
and so is the sound. It was one of the first stereo tv's on the
market, so the seperation is a bit lacking, but other wise it's still a
fantastic set. It's one of those that has more inputs and output jacks
on the back than I know what to do with.

I don't plan on upgrading to digital until this gem takes it's last
breath.

Not to p*ss on anyone's parade or anything, but quite frankly, I can't
fathom how anyone can rave over analog CRT TVs anymore. Not when it's
so easy to go into stores and view either SDTV or HDTV over LCDs or
plasmas. It must take an enormous amount of mental rationalization to
rave over old sets, IMO.

After buying an LCD monitor and HDTV STB for our main setup, we bought
another STB for the upstairs setup. Used it with a very nice Sanyo CRT
we had owned for a number of years. But honestly, it was hard to enjoy
that anymore. Even fed from an HDTV STB, so the image was completely
free of any ghost, the image on the analog CRT was so "TV-like" as to
be uninvolving anymore. No definition, grainy, obvious shadow mask,
just unacceptable anymore.

So we moved the downstairs set upstairs, and bought a bigger one for
downstairs.

By the way, neither of the two LCDs we bought was adjusted even close
to correctly, straight out of the box. My recommendation is to start
by deactivating any of their auto picture adjustment gizmos, and go
from there. Ditto with the audio. Don't be discouraged when the
initial image looks totally underwhelming.

Bert