Nehmo Sergheyev

Default Glue vs. No Glue

- Steven -
I have a trim carpenter who does excellent work, but I am finding it
impossible to make him use glue when building my cabinets. All of our
cabinets are custom built from my layout. I spec all of the materials

and
how I want them fabricated, including gluing all of the pieces

together.
Yesterday, the face frame was loose on a cabinet he was installing, so

pulled on it and it came off (not glued, only four finish nails).

After a
very heated argument (he said that if pulled on, it would have come

off even
it was glued) we debated if glue was even necessary. I say it is. He

says
no. I realize I am paying the bill, so what I say goes (or he goes),

but am
I missing something? Is it now an industry standard to rely on smooth
finish nails to hold cabinets together? What's the opinion of this

group?

- Nehmo -
In interior applications I've pretty much stopped using finishing nails
and I've switched to small head square-drive trim screws. I don't
necessarily use this brand, but here's a pic of some:
http://trimscrew.com/TRIM-SCREW.htm
another brand
http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/St...20Scre ws.htm
I keep one screwgun with a drill bit in it to predrill and another with
the square-drive bit to do the driving.

In your particular application of a faceplate on a cabinet, without more
detail I can't say if I would have used glue or not. But I wouldn't have
just used finishing nails and if the customer had specified glue, I
certainly would have used it.

You can get more replies to your technical question in
news:rec.woodworking . I crossposted.

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *