Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Default diagnosing an ailing Li-Ion battery pack

The appropriate "insight" is that third-party Li-ion batteries often aren't
very good.

The one I bought for my Yaesu transceiver -- from a legit, honest battery
dealer -- died pretty quickly. The Li-ion battery for my Olympus E-500 --
from a well-known third-party manufacturer -- does not the capacity or
charge retention of Olympus's battery.

This is unfortunate, because the manufacturer's batteries seem to be
overpriced.