Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Screw in flourescent light bulbs.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:16:06 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

I don't get how you manage to overheat something with a quarter of the heat input, no.

You really are dense, aren't you? The CFL isn't rated to operate
anywhere near the temperature an incandescent lamp produces. It isn't
glass metal & high temperature cement. Some parts aren't even rated to
stand boiling water. Some fixtures hold in more heat than others. They
are designed to handle the extra heat. Put a wimpy CFL inside that
fixture and it will die a quick death. Sometimes with a free lightshow
& fireworks.

I've got a CFL (100watt equivalent) in a completely enclosed glass fitting in the bathroom. It has lasted just fine.

I don't think I'd want a fitting that could hold the heat enough to make a CFL get to 100C. That would mean an incandescent would get a lot hotter than that! What of the surrounding stuff, like the ceiling?

What should you do if a girl sits on your hand?
Try to get her off.