Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ml ml is offline

Default gnack arrgg lighted switch help

In article ,
Gnack Nol wrote:

Trimmed

Hi folks

appreciate the head up regarding power to the lamp, my supply
would have enough power to light a small lamp

what i didn't get is a way to wire it up , which was my question

one person responded back with exactly the same why i listed it hooked
up which didn't make sence to me since i listed it as that didn't
work

clearly something is off on these switches googling around
others agree but no one listed (on the other sites) how to
actually hook it up

it's gotta be something simple

something is not right

I would think from the labels that you had hooked it up right. A simple
test would be to use an ohmmeter and check that the connection between
power and load actually switches when the rocker is moved from position to
position. If it does once again you should check the resistance from the
gnd terminal to each other terminal with the switch actually off and see
if there is a possibility the led or bulb is actually shorted.

Generally a led will read as an open circuit unless your meter supplies at
least 3v to the test leads while a lamp will read a low resistance.

A possibility also exists that your supply is putting out a high level of
ripple and could be causing the led to act as a short. This possibility
can be checked by hooking up your multimeter and monitoring the amount of
AC present.
Small wall warts usually contain little or no filtering and depend on the
equipment its meant to power for final filtering and some are pure AC.

If this is the problem a diode with the cathode connected to power ground
and the anode connected to the witch ground terminal might solve the
problem.

Since the switch is intended for automotive use it is also possible that
the indicator is a high current lamp and overloading your supply.

Gnack

thanks for the reply, i can light the bulb or led so it's
bad my supply is fine, no ripple and it has enough amps
for the job good theory thou

i'll have to see apprantely the diagram on the switch could be
wrong i dunno

but the fact that others have the smae problem at lest means i am
not crazy

guess i need to really figure it out somehow

again thanks very much