Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Charging a laptop battery without the laptop?

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 19:20:29 -0000, jakdedert wrote:

wrote:
Hi,

I have a Dell laptop which has developed a fault. It doesn't recognise
its own power supply. A bit of internet research reveals that this is
a common fault on this particular model, and it's a fault with the
motherboard, so an expensive repair. At the moment for me the fault is
intermittent. Sometimes the power supply is recognised and the thing
will run happily from the mains and charge the battery, sometimes it
isn't and it runs from the battery. Pretty soon a time will come when
the battery goes flat, the power supply won't be recognised at all and
it will be screwed unless I replace the motherboard.

To get to the point I could easily keep the PC running if I could
charge the battery without it being in the laptop. Anyone know what my
chances are? The battery has eight pins. I presume it has some
circuitry inside which means it's not as easy as guessing the right
two pins and putting a current across them.

Cheers!

Martin

While it may be a 'common fault', are you sure that the supply you are
using is a genuine Dell supply? I only ask because other companies sell
a supply that looks very much like the Dell original, uses the same
input and output cords and even has a representation of the Dell logo
molded into the face....but is NOT a Dell supply, and will NOT charge my
Dell laptops.

*It will run them, but not charge the battery.*

Closer examination reveals that it's really not much like a genuine
supply. It's much lighter in weight. The quality of the cabling is
markedly inferior. It doesn't have the rubber cable retainer strap.
There is no Dell information on the info sticker. It says at the top,
'Replacement AC Adaptor' and gives a few specs. At the bottom it says
'Made in China'.

I got it with a Dell laptop from Craigslist. The original owner
complained the battery wouldn't charge. Connection to a genuine Dell
supply fixed that problem.

I've bought loads of Latitude D600/D610/D620/D630 chargers from Ebay, and they've all worked fine. They look like genuine ones and work fine. The only one that did not work in a D610 or later (the D600 didn't do the check) was a Trust universal charger from Maplin. It did as you said above, with a message to that effect.

You can ship a 40 lb child UPS 2nd day air for around $60.00, but don't forget the air holes.