Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Screw in flourescent light bulbs.

In article , "Peter Hucker" wrote:
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 20:59:44 -0000, GregS wrote:

In article , "Michael A.

Terrell" wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:49:11 -0000, Michael A. Terrell
wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:14:26 -0000, Michael A. Terrell
wrote:

What part of CFL lamps overheating and catching on fire goes right
over your head?

It only happens extremely occasionally.

A hell of a lot more often than with incandescent lamps.

More often I've seen excessive heat from an incandescent making the fitting
brittle, the danger not being fire directly, but the fitting collapsing

later
on.

A lot of incandescent fixtures are not designed for safe operation of CFL
lamps.

Explain.

You really don't know anything, do you? Some fixtures hold in the
heat. The incandescents & ceramic sockets can handle the heat, but the
thermoplastic in the CFLs melt, the electrolytics overheat and they
fail, or catch on fire.

When I first started using them about 17 years ago, I thought I had
a few light fixtures that were way too hot, and I worried about that.
By using CFL's I would be usinf less electricity and the fixtures were much

cooler.
If it was an incandescent fixture in the first place, they automatically
hold a fire for a very short period and suffocate it usually. I would worry
more about CFL's NOT in fixtures, I have one CFL in the front yard 24/365
and it probably gets real hot in the summer day, but so far its going without
problems. Fully air sealed anyway.

Why do you have it on on a hot summer's day?

Cause I don't turn the switch off and on. I just leave it.
I do have parts to update my front lawn post including some spots
to illuminate some trees, and they will have a photo switch. I hope
the switch works on CFL's. I was going to check if this switch used a relay.

greg