Posted to alt.home.repair
gecko gecko is offline

Default Trouble with TORO Snow Blower

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 17:22:41 -0800, James Sweet
wrote:

Thanks for response. Before I address what you said, I am wondering
why the ether starting fluid will not ignite if there is spark (arc)
at the spark plug. It just seems to me that regardless of anything
else, if there is a spark at the plug (which I think there is), and
there is ether, then i should at least get an ignition, if
only for an instant. Do you agree? That bothers me the most about
all this. I get no ignition whatsoever. The rest, fuel mixture,
compression, voltage, flooding, would seem to me to not be involved
when I am just dealing with some ether in the combustion chamber. Do
you agree?

You need three things for it to run. Fuel, in the correct mixture ratio
with air, compression, and spark.

This could be I guess. But, remember, the ether will not ignite
either.

Does the compression feel normal when
you pull the cord?

Sure does.

Is the spark strong enough to fire the compressed
mixture?

Dunno.

The voltage required in the pressurized cylinder is much higher
than in free air. At that age it may have points and a condenser, if so,
replace and adjust those, they're cheap. Lastly, if you are getting too
much fuel and flooding it, the starting fluid won't fire.

I didn't realize that. I guess this might be.

Did you muck
up the carburetor adjustment?

No. Not that I know of anyway.

Depending on the motor, you normally screw
in the needle valve fully, being careful not to over tighten and
shoulder it, then back it out either 1.5 or 3 turns, start, and adjust
from there.

I I'll try this if nothing else works today.

The keyswitch is simple, it grounds the primary of the magneto where it
connects to the points in order to kill the ignition. Ground that and no
spark, engine shuts off. Open circuit and it can run.

I wondered about its function. Will the spark plug 'arc' if the key
is off? Just curious - because I think it did.

Thanks again

-GECKO