DJ Delorie

Default Experience with Incra Ultra

"KR & CA Hunter" writes:
Can anyone advise experience with the Incra Ulta precisism fence
system. Primarily for making fine boxes joints. Eg. Would a Leigh
system be a better option?

I have both. For dovetails, I use the Incra for smaller projects and
the Leigh for larger ones. The way the Incra does dovetails, you only
get half the strength of a true dovetail. For box joints, either
should work, but the Incra is probably easier to set up due to the
precision templates. I use the Incra for box joints.

Also, consider that for the Incra you move the wood, and for the Leigh
you move the router. For larger projects, this alone is a good reason
to use the Leigh.

The Leigh also can't make box joints smaller than a certain size, due
to the way the jig works. The Incra can make box joints as small as
your router bit allows.