Posted to alt.home.repair
gecko gecko is offline

Default Trouble with TORO Snow Blower

I have a problematic 1986 TORO CCR 2000 model 38180 snow blower
(thrower). It has always started on the first pull every year. Now
this year it is giving me fits.

It had a gas leak around the gas intake hose and the fuel bowl gasket.
I fixed both. The TORO has to be the most frustrating machine I have
ever worked on - you have to fairly well dismantle the housing to get
at any of the innards.

Anyway, now the thing will not start at all. I have tried squirting a
little starting fluid into the intake, but the engine will not 'fire'.
I changed to a new spark plug - it still will not 'fire'. I removed
the new spark plug and connected it back so I could observe whether it
'sparked' when I pulled on the starter rope. It did. I squirted a
little starter fluid into the combustion chamber itself, and
re-installed the spark plug. It still not 'fire'.

BTW - the key is on.

Anyway, I am wondering. Since the spark plug seems to be 'sparking'
okay, why on earth doesn't the starter fluid I squirted into the
combustion chamber at least 'fire' the engine, even if only once?
Also, would all this happen even if the key is off? IOW, could my
problem be that the key-switch is no working? It looks to act to
complete a ground circuit. I'm confused.

Thanks

-GECKO