Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Matsui LM19W1 (stuck in standby)

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 10:21:44 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

You are right that the Matsui thing is just a
Jap-sounding name, but on the whole, the stuff is not the worst you're ever
going to come across. Some of their TV sets and VCRs have been very
long-lived, and obtaining parts was not much of a problem. Thing is, the
stuff is so cheap now that it's hardly worth worrying about service once the
warranty is out. I was looking just the other day at a 22" fully featured
LCD TV for my newly remodelled kitchen. Built in Freeview receiver, HD,
1000:1 contrast ratio etc etc. UK£179 ! That was from Argos and was some
'never-heard-of' brand, and you would probably say that being in the trade,
I ought to know better, but c'mon ... 179 quid ?? Got to be worth a punt at
that hasn't it ? Anything lost really, if it's naffed-out after 2 years ?

Arfa

I'm thoroughly disillusioned by the lack of quality in any brand these
days. Like you, I reckon I may as well buy something cheap and not
expect much, rather than expect a lot from a name brand and then be
disappointed.

Anyway, I'd like to know why a service manual isn't automatically
included on the same CD that contains the user manual, bundled
software, etc, especially these days when everyone is focused on
saving the planet. I've tried to interest my local Green politicians
in these kinds of issues, but they're either too stupid, or too
preoccupied with their more politically visible agenda such as plastic
bags and CFLs.

BTW, in an email from our local garbage collection contractor, I was
advised ...

"Thanks for taking the time to use our website I spoke to our
Supervisor and he advised the best way to dispose of fluorescent lamps
is just in your normal garbage bin"

- Franc Zabkar