Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] is offline

Default Old analog meters

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:17:25 -0600, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"Samuel M. Goldwasser" wrote in message
Meat Plow writes:

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 06:53:17 -0600, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

Started collecting them pretty recently - Weston, Eico, Precision
Apparatus,
etc. Even a Japanese JRC vom from about 1950.

Wondering what cool old meters you guys have at work or at home?

Care to share thoughts / reminiscences?

Just a Simpson 260.

Yep, What modern general purpose DMM has a 5 kV range?!

--

Well, I do have an RCA WV-38A with 5 kV ranges, but I virtually never need
any of that. About the highest I ever go on a regular basis is the 200

I might just pick up a Simpson of some variety or other though. The 260
XLPM
looks pretty good - I like the extra ranges compared to a regular 260 and
must confess that between my advancing old age and laziness from using a
DMM
the past 20 years, simple precautions I learned in tech school need to be
relearned. The other day I inadvertently put my Fluke 8800A probes across
50 volt DC source while on a 200 ohm resistance setting. Didn't seem to
damage it, but boy, I sure gotta watch that stuff. Hopefully the relay
protection on the Simpson would prevent damage from any such stupidity.

Mark Z.

The 260 XLPM is a good choice but the 8P does have overload protect
also and might be a few bucks cheaper.

I learned on my 260 but other than having that bit of nostalgic value
it really doesn't cut it like my old Fluke 77 does. I still do use it
though when working on tube amps for monitoring different critical
voltages.

My problem with the 8P and some other later Simpsons is those stupid
inverted banana plug inputs. I need to be able to use conventional banana
types.

Mark Z.