Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] is offline

Default Old analog meters

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:17:25 -0600, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"Samuel M. Goldwasser" wrote in message
Meat Plow writes:

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 06:53:17 -0600, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

Started collecting them pretty recently - Weston, Eico, Precision
Apparatus,
etc. Even a Japanese JRC vom from about 1950.

Wondering what cool old meters you guys have at work or at home?

Care to share thoughts / reminiscences?

Just a Simpson 260.

Yep, What modern general purpose DMM has a 5 kV range?!

--

Well, I do have an RCA WV-38A with 5 kV ranges, but I virtually never need
any of that. About the highest I ever go on a regular basis is the 200

I might just pick up a Simpson of some variety or other though. The 260
XLPM
looks pretty good - I like the extra ranges compared to a regular 260 and
must confess that between my advancing old age and laziness from using a
DMM
the past 20 years, simple precautions I learned in tech school need to be
relearned. The other day I inadvertently put my Fluke 8800A probes across
50 volt DC source while on a 200 ohm resistance setting. Didn't seem to
damage it, but boy, I sure gotta watch that stuff. Hopefully the relay
protection on the Simpson would prevent damage from any such stupidity.

Mark Z.

The 260 XLPM is a good choice but the 8P does have overload protect
also and might be a few bucks cheaper.

I learned on my 260 but other than having that bit of nostalgic value
it really doesn't cut it like my old Fluke 77 does. I still do use it
though when working on tube amps for monitoring different critical
voltages.

I have a Fluke 85 series III and like it a lot - it's my "standard" to
compare others to.

Mark Z.