Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.broadcasting,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.video.cable-tv

Default Need help - no signal from TV antenna in the attic

mm wrote:

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 15:17:55 -0600, "lurch" wrote:

You have shown the antenna and downstairs TV are good. Something you
bypassed with the 100' cable is bad. Add parts of the bad system, one at a
time, into the good system. Suspect ALL connectors and extension cables
until they work with the good system. The splitter is the main suspect as
all four down cables shouldn't fail at the same time.

You'd really have to work hard to make a passive splitter fail. I
guess applying 110 volts might do it.

Lightning kills them by the millions. As an engineer for a major
CATV MSO years ago, I lost hundreds every month. They are simple three
port RF transformers, wound with wire the size of a human hair.

The inline amp may be
needed to overcome the loss of a 4-way splitter but you should see something
without it.

That might have been true in the old days, but with tv's going blank
if the signal is too weak, I wouldn't count on it.

I hope the house wiring is RF and not fiber-optic!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.