Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Matsui LM19W1 (stuck in standby)

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:16:15 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Jack00" wrote in message
This LCD tv is stuck in standby. Any ideas where I should start?
Thanks

Does it try to come out of standby, and then drop back ? If so, first
thing
to try is unplugging the backlight inverter board. Failure of these is
very
common, and will cause the symptoms if it does at least try. The sound
output chip is another suspect for this type of failure.

If it doesn't even try, this can be a power supply fault, but I have also
had mainboard failures cause it on other sets from this stable. To be
honest, if it's anything more than *really simple* on an LCD TV, you're
unlikely to get to the bottom of it. In the last few weeks, the prices of
19" sets has crashed in the electrical barns and supermarkets, so it might
in the end be more economic to just replace it.

Arfa

Sorry, to hijack this thread, but I notice that Matsui is a Dixons
supermarket brand (with a fake Japanese name). What is the support
like for these off-brand appliances? Will Dixons or their service
agent (do they have one?) supply service literature, spare parts, etc?
Do they limit their responsibility to honouring the warranty (by
repair, replacement, or refund), and then leave the customers to their
own devices?

Here in Australia I've purchased several different appliances from
Aldi but I've never been able to obtain a service manual for any of
them. I've always had to do my own research and reverse engineering.
On the plus side, many of the appliances have proven to be hackable,
with the result that I've often ended up with more than I paid for.

- Franc Zabkar

It's a bit 'hit and miss' on the service angle, Franc. In theory, you can
get service info from the Dixons Group. Friend of mine is a service agent
for them. They seem to use independants, and dictate the terms. They did
also have their own in-house service that a friend of mine from the 'early
days' worked for, but I'm not sure if they still do. A lot of warranty seems
to be handled by exchange, if the part required is not going to be supplied
FOC by the manufacturer. You are right that the Matsui thing is just a
Jap-sounding name, but on the whole, the stuff is not the worst you're ever
going to come across. Some of their TV sets and VCRs have been very
long-lived, and obtaining parts was not much of a problem. Thing is, the
stuff is so cheap now that it's hardly worth worrying about service once the
warranty is out. I was looking just the other day at a 22" fully featured
LCD TV for my newly remodelled kitchen. Built in Freeview receiver, HD,
1000:1 contrast ratio etc etc. UK£179 ! That was from Argos and was some
'never-heard-of' brand, and you would probably say that being in the trade,
I ought to know better, but c'mon ... 179 quid ?? Got to be worth a punt at
that hasn't it ? Anything lost really, if it's naffed-out after 2 years ?

Arfa