Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Television Tube going out?

wrote:
We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small
color tv set. Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line
originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line
scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over.
Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this
could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? Suggestions?
Could it be the satellite install? I doubt that, but want other's
opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana

What you describe sounds like 50 or 60 Hz 'hum bars' in the
picture...the video equivalent of a steady hum in an audio signal at the
power line frequency. The cause is the same; namely a 'ground loop' or
improper/insufficient shielding of the video signal somewhere along the
line.

It's also possible that this noise--and it definitely is noise, ie:
outside interference of some sort--is something different. My bet's
still on a shielding issue. Remove and replace each connection, making
sure all are tight. Examine all cables for condition. If it's
possible, substitute known-good cables one at a time to see if the
symptom improves.

You may not have the technical 'chops' to pull all this off; but it's
what it will take to dx the problem. Find someone to help you. One
thing for certain; it's not a symptom of a bad tube.

jak