Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] is offline

Default Old analog meters

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
Started collecting them pretty recently - Weston, Eico, Precision
Apparatus, etc. Even a Japanese JRC vom from about 1950.

Wondering what cool old meters you guys have at work or at home?

Care to share thoughts / reminiscences?

Mark Z.

AVO 8 Mk IV. Never did like the ones that they scaled in 3s and 10s. The
Mk IV is 2.5s and 10s. It was issued to me on my first day as an
apprentice on my very first day of work out of school nearly forty years
ago, all fresh-faced and ready to take on the world ...

Both me and the meter look a bit longer in the tooth, and battered around
the edges now, but we both still work, just about ! d;~}

Arfa

Yeah, sometimes the scales are a bit disappointing for the type of stuff we
use these things for. I mean a 300 volt scale to measure 120 AC gives a
less-than satisfactory indication, as does 12 volts DC on a 50 volt scale.
Still usable of course, but accuracy may suffer a bit.

These days it seems there is less and less actual troubleshooting with
meters and 'scopes, though. We have a Sony guru who only grabs the DMM maybe
once every month or two. Any more it's mostly boards, lamps, fans, panels,
etc.

I might keep an eye out for a Mark IV...I think I've seen them on eBay a
time or two.

Mark Z.