Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Sources for LCD Inverter repair tutorials?

"jakdedert" wrote in message
prc1 wrote:
I have a couple of LCD monitors (Apple 21" and 23" Cinema displays,
Hitachi 17") that have bad inverters. I know these things vary widely
in design, but I wonder if there's a good site/sites that teach about
how inverters work and how to troubleshoot and repair them?
** To respond, remove the crap from my addy... **

I saw an 'instructable' regarding replacing many inverters with a generic
unit. Try this search link:
http://www.instructables.com/tag/?q=backlight+inverter&limit%3Atype%3Aid=on&type%3A id=on&type%3Auser=on&type%3Acomment=on&type%3Agrou p=on&type%3AforumTopic=on&sort=none

Since then, inverters have come down in price. Do an eBay search for your
unit and you might find one cheaply enough to make repair uneconomical.

jak

In general, there are only a few things that fail on them - fuses which may
not look like any fuse you would immediately recognise, transistors (often
surface mount, but can be traditional thru' hole), transformers (some
available, but most not) and the occasional output capacitor. You can find
most of these things with a simple multimeter, but as Jak says, there are
many places selling backlight inverters for both TV and monitor
applications, so unless you are repairing an original just for the fun and
experience, it's often more cost effective to just replace the whole board.
Be careful when playing with them. Although not particularly dangerous, they
can give you a nasty little 'bite' when they are operating ... :-)

Arfa