Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rebel rebel is offline

Default Charging a laptop battery without the laptop?

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:07:40 -0600, jakdedert wrote:

IMM, the OP has not thoroughly diagnosed the problem. His internet
research could very well be valid; but without real-world testing, it's
still only opinion. To date, he has not indicated whether he has tested
the power supply. In fact, he stated that it categorically could 'not'
be the problem (although that answer was in response to a different
query, regarding aftermarket supplies which are known to produce nearly
the same symptoms).

Since most recent Dells use the either the PA 12 (65 watt, original
equipment for his unit), or the PA 10 (90 watt) supplies, it's pretty
easy to find someone with a known-good supply to sub. In fact, the PA
10 is also a substitute for the any laptop supplied with a PA 12, making
it even easier to find a sub. IMO, this is good policy from Dell. I
wish other makers followed this model of not tying their supplies to a
particular unit.

Given that this is least expensive possible solution--as well as the
cheapest/easiest--I urge the OP to at least explore the possibility.
Try your supply on a known-good laptop; or try a known-good supply on
yours. If it turns out to not be the case, obviously he'll have to
explore others.

Agree. We were in Vegas back in October and had left our Dell PA10 behind on
the west coast. Found a laptop repair place and (with Vostro under arm) we
verified that the new PA10 they had was 100% kosher before buying it. Any
reputable outlet selling the genuine PA10 would do the same, so the O/P should
have reasonable opportunity to check out whether in fcat his PSU is U/S.

Based on experience I'd still lean towards the mobo being the problem, but doing
the PSU test certainly will identify the problem area.