Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.broadcasting,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.video.cable-tv
lurch lurch is offline

Default Need help - no signal from TV antenna in the attic

wrote in message
Hi,
I just moved in to the new house. There is a 4-way coax splitter in
the attic, which has one input and four outputs (to different rooms).
I know that previous owners had a cable (from the cable company). It
looks like the cable was going into the same splitter in the attic,
and then routed to rooms downstairs.
I want to use the TV antenna in the attic.
I tried connecting the TV antenna to splitter's input – absolutely no
signal is getting to TVs downstairs. I also connected the antenna to
each of splitter’s outputs (which go to TVs) – exactly the same
outcome - not even a change in a static when I plug in the antenna.
I bought a TV signal inline amplifier from RadioShack – absolutely no
difference.
However, if I drop a 100' coax cable directly from the antenna in the
attic to the TV downstairs (bypassing the splitter and all of the home
cable wiring), the picture is crisp and perfect.
Can I run some tests to ensure cable continuation (from the attic to
rooms downstairs).
Does anybody know how I can get the signal from the antenna in the
attic to TVs downstairs?
Thank you.

You have shown the antenna and downstairs TV are good. Something you
bypassed with the 100' cable is bad. Add parts of the bad system, one at a
time, into the good system. Suspect ALL connectors and extension cables
until they work with the good system. The splitter is the main suspect as
all four down cables shouldn't fail at the same time. The inline amp may be
needed to overcome the loss of a 4-way splitter but you should see something
without it.

I hope the house wiring is RF and not fiber-optic!