Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Charging a laptop battery without the laptop?

wrote:
On Dec 2, 12:37 pm, wrote:
Hi,

I have aDelllaptop which has developed a fault. It doesn't recognise
its own power supply. A bit of internet research reveals that this is
a common fault on this particular model, and it's a fault with the
motherboard, so an expensive repair. At the moment for me the fault is
intermittent. Sometimes the power supply is recognised and the thing
will run happily from the mains andchargethe battery, sometimes it
isn't and it runs from the battery. Pretty soon a time will come when
the battery goes flat, the power supply won't be recognised at all and
it will be screwed unless I replace the motherboard.

To get to the point I could easily keep the PC running if I couldchargethe battery without it being in the laptop. Anyone know what my
chances are? The battery has eight pins. I presume it has some
circuitry inside which means it's not as easy as guessing the right
two pins and putting a current across them.

Cheers!

Martin

when you find out let me know

IMM, the OP has not thoroughly diagnosed the problem. His internet
research could very well be valid; but without real-world testing, it's
still only opinion. To date, he has not indicated whether he has tested
the power supply. In fact, he stated that it categorically could 'not'
be the problem (although that answer was in response to a different
query, regarding aftermarket supplies which are known to produce nearly
the same symptoms).

Since most recent Dells use the either the PA 12 (65 watt, original
equipment for his unit), or the PA 10 (90 watt) supplies, it's pretty
easy to find someone with a known-good supply to sub. In fact, the PA
10 is also a substitute for the any laptop supplied with a PA 12, making
it even easier to find a sub. IMO, this is good policy from Dell. I
wish other makers followed this model of not tying their supplies to a
particular unit.

Given that this is least expensive possible solution--as well as the
cheapest/easiest--I urge the OP to at least explore the possibility.
Try your supply on a known-good laptop; or try a known-good supply on
yours. If it turns out to not be the case, obviously he'll have to
explore others.

jak