Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Completely & Utterly OT; Interesting new book

Timothy Murphy wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

you give statins to
people who are at higher risk not everyone.
Like if you have T2 diabetes or high blood pressure with high cholesterol.

I saw that the Chief Scientist (I may have the title wrong) in the UK
suggested some time (a year or so) ago that there was a strong argument
for putting everybody over 50 on statins.

It struck me at the time as surprising advice, because of the cost involved
if his advice was actually followed.

1 Yes - I heard that too (but not sure of precise title).

2 Much cheaper if added to the water supply. Which I have also heard
suggested. :-)

3 First time I heard an 'investigative' approach (which would almost
certainly have been Radio 4 a few years ago), there was a doctor
categorically arguing in favour of statins for at least almost everyone
over 50. But asked if he would be taking them, said that he would not.
To be fair, he did appreciate the hyporcrisy and intellectual
questionability of his position(s)!

4 Since when did cost really enter the health equation? I know of
people who have had dozens of consultant appointments, investigations,
x-rays, MRIs, etc. But as soon as it is established that there is no
'life to be saved', merely 'enhanced quality of life', no-one seems to
care enough to even ensure they get proper treatement.

--
Rod

onset.