Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Charging a laptop battery without the laptop?

wrote:

snip
To get to the point I could easily keep the PC running if I could
charge the battery without it being in the laptop. Anyone know what my
chances are? The battery has eight pins. I presume it has some
circuitry inside which means it's not as easy as guessing the right
two pins and putting a current across them.

A common problem in my experience. I have also had the need to rebuild
laptop battery packs and so built a number of devices and fixtures
to permit programming and charging a variety of battery packs. I
also have collected some software to permit querying and programming
pack charge management chips and gas gauges from a PC. There is
also a good Russian IIRC site that has lots of data and some
circuit diagrams. It will take me some time to collect up the
links and references, but I will post here later. In the meantime,
search engines may be your friend (or not) and also it would do you
well to search on issues that your laptop model and battery model
may have documented on the web.

Michael