Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] martin_pentreath@hotmail.com is offline

Default Charging a laptop battery without the laptop?

On 2 Dec, 19:20, jakdedert wrote:

While it may be a 'common fault', are you sure that the supply you are
using is a genuine Dell supply? *I only ask because other companies sell
a supply that looks very much like the Dell original, uses the same
input and output cords and even has a representation of the Dell logo
molded into the face....but is NOT a Dell supply, and will NOT charge my
Dell laptops.

*It will run them, but not charge the battery.*

Closer examination reveals that it's really not much like a genuine
supply. *It's much lighter in weight. *The quality of the cabling is
markedly inferior. *It doesn't have the rubber cable retainer strap.
There is no Dell information on the info sticker. *It says at the top,
'Replacement AC Adaptor' and gives a few specs. *At the bottom it says
'Made in China'.

I got it with a Dell laptop from Craigslist. *The original owner
complained the battery wouldn't charge. *Connection to a genuine Dell
supply fixed that problem.

jak

Thanks for the idea Jak, but the charger is definitely OK. It came
with the laptop from Dell, and has worked perfectly for the last two
years. The fault has only developed recently, and not only will the
charger now not charge the battery, it will not power the laptop at
all. This is apparently a motherboard problem and has nothing to do
with the charger itself. However, the laptop will run fine from a
charged battery. Hence my need to charge the battery some other way.