Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Direct Drive vs Belt Drive for New Washer

We had a direct drive Kenmore that only lasted a few years with just 2
adults in the house hold. The underwater seal went in the agitator
destroying the transmission.

"Ulysses" wrote in message
Any opinions on which is better for a new washing machine, belt-drive
or direct-drive? In a recent thread we were discussing my old Kenmore
direct-drive washer and how to fix it. I determined it needs a new
motor. I can get a used motor for $45 but who knows how long that
will last. A new motor is about $135 plus shipping. Plus another $20-
$30 for new "dogs" and a new coupler. A new Kenmore large capacity
washer from Sears is $299. The thing is it is a "steel belt drive"
and has a plastic case for the gearbox. I was under the impresson
that direct-drive had pretty much replaced belt drive washers due to
lower maintenance and easier repairs. There must be some reason why
new washers are belt drive. Any reason why a plastic case on the
gearbox is not as good as steel? On a direct-drive it seems like
there would be little stress on the seals and bearings but I'm not so
sure about a plastic box on a belt drive.