Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Metal plates on studs to protect plumbing

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I know that studs need metal plates over studs where there is plumbing
too close to the wall. This is to protect a nail going into the
plumbing. I'm wondering about exceptions. What about plumbing
behind the toilet? There is a stud directly behind the toilet where
plumbing is running horizontally. I can't see anyone wanting to put
a nail or screw in the wall behind the toilet. Is a metal plate still
required here?

Those little goodies are about as cheap as they come, and spending a buck
and saving a whole sheet rock replacement job (including retexturing and
painting later) is a REAL no brainer to me.

Yes, it would be hard to get behind a toilet and shoot a screw or pound a
nail, but at that stage of construction, the toilet ain't there, is it?

Steve