Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default Metal plates on studs to protect plumbing

On 2008-11-29, Phisherman wrote:

I know that studs need metal plates over studs where there is plumbing
too close to the wall. This is to protect a nail going into the
plumbing. I'm wondering about exceptions. What about plumbing
behind the toilet? There is a stud directly behind the toilet where
plumbing is running horizontally. I can't see anyone wanting to put
a nail or screw in the wall behind the toilet. Is a metal plate still
required here?

Think about the construction sequence: first the stud wall is built,
then the plumbing in the wall is installed, then the wall is
sheetrocked, then the toilet is installed. Certainly the sheetrockers
could hit that plumbing pipe, so the metal plate is required.

Cheers, Wayne