Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low voltage wire/cable suspended lighting

Nick wrote:
Hello.
I'm wanting to illuminate a large dark gloomy old room. 17th century, low
ceiling with exposed beams. Very little natural light.
I am thinking that something like this
http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/l-v...c-70-rn-0.html
could be suspended between the beams and be almost invisible when in use.

It would be highly visible and very out of character. Traditional twin
wall fittings are more in keeping with such houses. They can take
filament lamps or CFL, as you wish.

I know little of the subject and would much appreciate any pointers or
comments.
The items in the above link seem somewhat expensive for the area I would
like to illuminate.

yes

Would require probably 4 runs with 3 or 4 lamps on each run when combined
with wall lights and other free standing lighting.
Also, could the transformers be hidden tween ceiling/upstairs floor
(6"/150mm gap) and would this present any fire hazard?

yes - in which case get standard low cost transformers rather than
their prettified expensive ones. Fire hazard, yes inevitably.

I presume I could use 6mm stranded steel cable with proprietory lamps and
fixings.

How do I calculate the size and type of transformer required.

Just add up the wattages of the lights you'll run off it. As said,
when you dont know what power lighting you want, pick higher power to
give you room to play.

Line lengths
can easily be calculated. The number of lamps & wattage etc. is not so
simple

Probably easiest way to get a ballpark idea is to use a couple of
portable lamps, fit whatever bulb wattage is required to get enough
light, then you've gota figure to start form if using halogen or
filament. Divide by 4 for CFL, or 5 for linear fl.

Sorry, this is very vague and I am literally stabbing in the dark.
Any pertinent comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick.

NT