Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Nick is offline

Default Low voltage wire/cable suspended lighting

Hello.
I'm wanting to illuminate a large dark gloomy old room. 17th century, low
ceiling with exposed beams. Very little natural light.
I am thinking that something like this
http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/l-v...c-70-rn-0.html
could be suspended between the beams and be almost invisible when in use.

I know little of the subject and would much appreciate any pointers or
comments.
The items in the above link seem somewhat expensive for the area I would
like to illuminate.
Would require probably 4 runs with 3 or 4 lamps on each run when combined
with wall lights and other free standing lighting.
Also, could the transformers be hidden tween ceiling/upstairs floor
(6"/150mm gap) and would this present any fire hazard?

I presume I could use 6mm stranded steel cable with proprietory lamps and
fixings.
How do I calculate the size and type of transformer required. Line lengths
can easily be calculated. The number of lamps & wattage etc. is not so
simple
Sorry, this is very vague and I am literally stabbing in the dark.
Any pertinent comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick.