Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power Inverters

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I'd guess the Delco designers knew how crap their car electrics were.
Early Blaupunkt seemed to work just fine without.

Every crappy solid state Blaupunkt I worked on had similar
protection.

Not on the ones I've owned.

They were the lowest grade construction of any automotive
electronics that I ever had the misfortune to repair.

You're talking ****e.

I repaired over
1000 car radios when I was a teenager. Delco was one of the best, as
far as durability & ease of repair.

Can't be that good if you had to repair over 1000.

I did it for a living, in a large city. That 1000+ radios was all
brands. The Delcos usually took less time to repair than it took to
write the service ticket. The Philco, Motorola & Bendix took a half
hour to one and a half hours, while the Blaupunkt repairs averaged nine
months, because they were so damn slow to ship parts to their US
distributor. No part we needed was EVER in stock.

They were durable, because they were
better designed. Philco was the worst US design, followed by the
Japanese radios, then the European designs. I never saw anything from
Russia, but I've heard that they were even worse.

ignorance may be bliss, but it damages lots of equipment.

Sure it might if you're stupid enough to disconnect the battery with
the engine running.

So, you claim that batteries never fail, or battery lugs come loose?

It's not common, no. And the usual first symptom is the car won't start.

Are you really that ignorant? A lot of failures occur while on the
road. A worn battery cable can arc to the frame, cusing a large splie.
The fusible link can open, a battery cable can come off. It has all
happened, more than once. I can see you aren't smart enough to
uderstand the ramiofications, so this will be my last reply to your
ignoerant comments.

You've never seen an open fusible link? You are just a parts changer
who doesn't understand the intimate details of a design.

Heh heh. That from the one who thinks early Blaupunkt was badly made...

They were crap. At least whatever they exported to the US was. We
were the only shop for 100 miles who would even repair them in the
'70s. The parts were crammed in tightly, the wiring harnesses were
brittle, and broke quite easily. I still have some manuals, showing what
crap they were. Some had clusters of cheap Japanese style resistors
standing on end, that vibrated & cracked the leads. Just trying to
locate the bad one would break several that were already weak from metal
fatigue.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLD&q=automotive+electrical+load +dump

Results 1 - 10 of about 177,000 for automotive electrical load dump.
(0.30 seconds)

You seem very hung up about it. Is it the latest fad?

Hung up? Fad? 177,000 hits isn't a fad, idiot. It has been well
known by electrical engineers who designin automotive electronics since
the early '60s. One of the first hits was from the IEEE, but I doubt
you have any idea who or what they are.

Go to news:sci.electronics.design and let some of the older engineers
tell you of the damaged equipment and explosions from load dumps in the
labs.

Its nothing like Ni-Cad 'Memory effect' which was reported in some
spacecraft that had the exact same charging cycle, over and over due to
their constant orbit. The effect was proven in the lab by duplicating
the charging cycles. By varying the charge cycles that doesn't occur.

Indeed. But plenty thought it could happened to their mobile phones, etc.

Plenty of idiots who failed science class and who believe in old
wives tales and don't understand the chemietry involved.

Have you ever done any real design work, or ar you just another
ignorant parts changer? My design work is in space. Some is aboard the
International Space Station, comprising one of the main audio, video &
data communications systems. Definitely a place where you have to be
damn sure that your designs will not take out the main DC power buss, or
be affected by transients.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell